From:
Nicholas Bunning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2008 13:06:31 -0500
> This post sorta reminded something i was thinking about on the
> subway a few days ago.  What is the current demand for harpsichords?
> and for what type?  Obviously there have been many flourishes of
> activity in the 20th century.  The grand makers, Pleyel, Neupert,
> Wittmayer Goble Challis  etc, being replaced with Hubbard,
> Skowroneck, Dowd  and Rubio types  and then a new generation of
> boutique-y builders.    The product has changed obviously from the
> luxury-Rolls-Royce-all-purpose-machine to the  French Double,
> Italian  or Ruckers kinda thing...   German Harpsichords seemed to
> be the hot ticket for a while (maybe still are?)  Now its seems that
> everything is quiet.  Are very few instruments getting produced, or
> at least talked about.    I was thinking professionally made
> instruments...

Has everything that needed to be done to get the harpsichord back (to
where the place was before it died) been accomplished,  creating a
need fewer new ones...?   Are there less interesting new ones to be
built 'cause we have enough of them on the planet?  What sort of
instruments  are neeeded that we dont already have?  Its almost a
shame that the period of invention has come to an end.....  or has
it?  Is there ever going to be another Dolmetsch or a Hubbard of the
harpsichord world..   or is the work done?

Damn,  that musta been a long subway ride......