From:
Michael Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 2016 08:26:09 +0100
Phillip,

Tuning by ear is a process of educating the brain to understand certain
sounds, there really is little one can put into words to achieve
that.Working with equal temperament some 65 years ago I was taught to
calculate beats of fourths, fifths and more importantly thirds and
sixths but really I think that is not the case or desirable with our
work on harpsichords.Most professional players I have worked with over
the years have had their little ways of setting the scale of temperament
and I have to agree with that, I have felt tuning is painting a picture
in sound and the temperament is the palate of co lour for what you are
trying to achieve. You really have to play around and teach your ears to
understand and the best trainer would be a gismo as the yard stick to
what is thought to be correct, and isn’t.

MJ