From:
Peter W Redstone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 15:44:03 -0800
Hi folks! I wrote:

>> One thing, however is certain: the human ear is not an objective
>> scientific instrument!

to which Michael J. answered:

>That might be true but I would certainly trust the trained and
>experienced ear before all else.  If not why on earth to we try to
>create musical instruments.

Sorry to disagree, but, with the best will in the world, what we hear is subjective,
 and influenced by our own preferences and prejudices.

As to trusting our ears, I cannot help but remember hearing Tom Goff expounding
one Saturday evening in 1961 at Fenton House on how much better his harpsichord
sounded than the 1612 Ruckers being played by Enid Winder at the time!  Alas,
there are ears - and ears!

What I would like to do is to determine, beyond possible doubt, whether modern,
low-carbon steel wire does or does not sound like the old phosphorus iron wire,
and if it doesn't, is the difference sufficient to incur the expense of making
old-style wire. Of course, if the difference is miniscule, there is obviousl
y no point in incurring the extra expense in making the old-style wire.

Best!

Redstone

Peter Redstone,
Harpsichord and Fortepiano maker,