From:
Forrest Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:25:38 -0500
In the early 80's, when I was working for Eric Herz, I had some minimal
contact with Mr. Buckley, who owned one of Eric's French doubles. I also
heard a charming story courtesy of Gerald Ranck, a NYC harpsichordist, also
a Herz client, and a friend of Bill. Seems that Gerald was hit by a cab
whilst crossing a street, badly breaking one hand (or both?). He was laid up
in a hospital for quite a while, and there was concern about his playing
future. But gradually his hand(s) improved, and at some point WFB brought
to him a small electronic keyboard to help his recovery.

After considerable therapy and practice, Gerald could finally play again,
and gave a little recital on the appliance for the attendant nurses, amongst
whom apparently there was not a dry eye.

FWIW,
Fd

PS: the last time I saw Gerald was at the service for Eric a few years ago
in Cambridge, where GR played beautifully on one of Eric's elaborately
veneered English doubles.