From:
Michael Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 2010 09:05:54 +0000
Richard Schaumloffel wrote:
> I didn't mean to start a thread on copying I really meant an instrument in
> Italian style using local wood . I have a question for Bill ,I have  a stack of
> Leban on Cedar which I bought 30 years ago from Bob Brett in Norwich. Is
> there an original Italian in cedar which I could "copy".

Some thirty years ago I bought a C of L butt 16ft long which when
converted produced over 500 cubic ft of timber, still got some left and
all the shelving in my Gallery is made of 2" boards from that tree.   I
made four Italians from it and used it up mainly on lids.    It was and
is a beautiful stable material that has another bonus of being very
light in weight, hence the use for lids, but it has its faults.    Now
firstly, as GL said some twenty years ago, Italians are not my best
forte, however I thought the sound quality of those Italians lacked
punch.    Now that could have down to my work so I would take other
advice about tonal qualities, the soundboards were all picea abies.
The second fault, and this one has stopped me using the breed, the resin
is almost impossible to stop and I can assure you I have tried
everything from shellac to the most expensive primers.   Given time, the
resin has shown up under the lacquer, which will not be a problem if you
are not going to paint.    I agree with GL about my Italians, don’t like
them, but the R.N.C.M. Manchester has one in their museum thatcKen
Gilbert like so much he dragged it out and used in a recital there, also
Glyndebourne Opera have one that has not blown up so I did find a few
fans:-)