From:
Norm Purdy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2018 13:06:35 -0700
Hi all,

The recent thread about appropriate uses for HPSCHD-L mentioned a
harpsichord online group that lives in the FaceBook universe.  While
some of the members of this group may also belong to that Facebook
group, there are many (myself included) who have been reluctant to join
FB, even before its current security scandal hit the media.  I briefly
signed up for FB about a year ago for the sole purpose of joining the
Harpsichord/Clembalo/Clavicin group and was immediately inundated with
"friend" requests from individuals whom I had no idea who they were.  It
seems that somehow the Facebook goliath looks up your email address and
connects you with any email address you may have had contact with, and
automatically sends a "friend" request. I asked some of these people
whom I knew if they had sent me a "friend" request and they assured me
they had not, so it was obvious that the FaceBook software had done this
automatically.  It also looked like friend requests were automatically
sent from contacts OF the contacts in my address book.  This was growing
like a cancer.  I also started to receive unsolicited advertisements and
all kinds of unwanted garbage.

I still "lurk" the FB harpsichord group.  It is public, which means that
you can read postings without being a FaceBook member, but not
contribute.  I must confess to feeling a bit guilty, as I would like to
pay back and contribute what little I may have to offer, but I'm not
willing to expose myself to the frustration and nuisance that being "on"
FaceBook entails.

So, Dave, I'm wondering if there may be possible upgrades to the UIowa
list software that could offer some of the features of Facebook?  Mostly
I miss the ability to post photos.  Most of us have the capability to
take digital photos with our phones and upload them, and a picture can
clarify and explain so efficiently in many cases.  Also, it would be
nice to be able to scan a discussion thread without having to click on
each individual email.  - I have adjusted the email application on my
computer to automatically move all of the HPSCHD-L entries out of my
inbox and put them in a special folder, so at least that's an
improvement over having the entries scattered within my incoming email.

I seem to recall that someone had set up a hosting site for some photos
for HPSCHD-L.  Has this been done, and does it work well enough that it
might serve as well as the embedded photos feature in FaceBook?

Please know that I am not complaining, and all of us appreciate HPSCHD-L
and all you (Dave) do for us!

Norm Purdy
A loyal HPSCHD-L member from the beginning!