From:
Michael Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 2010 15:21:13 +0000
Dennis wrote:

Can keys depend on the weight of the jacks to return to their resting
position? I find that the keys that are heavier in front simply don't
come back fast enough to repeat properly, especially when more than one
choir is engaged.

Thanks,

Dennis

On 06/11/2010 07:07, Carey Beebe wrote:
>   The days are over
> of the indiscriminately drawn pencil line across the keys for the
> addition of a lead slug at the same point in each key!

The angled line on a Johnson keyboard has nothing to do with balance at
all, it's there for the use of keeping the keys in their correct order
off the frame, I do not number them.

The reason, apart from sound, that players like to use instruments from
certain periods for certain literature is because the action and
keyboard design is such that the technicalities, not a good word but you
will know what I mean, of the music can be so much better to
interpreted.Italian keyboard fulcrums are very forward and that gives a
shallow dip, heavier and faster back drop and therefore a quick action
much needed for the music written for that period.The French went the
other way and indeed a lesson was learnt from that experience way back
in 1976 and came from a player.The 1976 French instrument built for Bob
van Asperen was brought back for some reason and I was horrified to find
he had cellotaped lead on the back of every lower manual key.The tape
left a nasty sticky mess on the key blanks and as you can imagine I was
not at all pleased.Back in those days Bob had been through a stage in
his life where he had I believed put some kits together and he openly
considered himself an authority on the subject of making harpsichords,
we did fall out then as both egos were attacked but I think we are now
the best of friends and he stills uses that instrumentJWhat he failed to
note whilst complaining at the lack of return from the keys, was that
the bottom holes on the lower manual keyboard had tightened up from a
long stay in a very damp Church and simply needed easing on. However,
what I say from now on is applicable to my keyboards and the style of
boxes I make and perhaps advice would be better got from your own maker
regarding your instrument.

Firstly in order to get the fulcrum working properly you must have the
minimum of friction at that point and indeed all the other locating
points at the back or front end of the key.I say front because Peter
will say his instruments have a front pin or bat, mine work from a back
pin and rack.I choose to use a chassed top to the fulcrum with a cleared
hole through to just a millimetre or so thickness of wood bottom hole
where it fits onto the balance rail.That bottom hole is adjusted with a
tapered awl so the key will fall back on its own but there must be no
forward or back play which will occur if you are over enthusiastic.The
chase at the top is adjusted so that no friction drag is there and the
minimum of play is left to allow the key work quietly; the same rule of
thumb applies to the back pin and you are helped there if you use piano
centre pins as they come in many diameters. Most keyboards are designed
to have an angled slope back when they bed on the backtouch rail, I like
to create that so that the key is almost level at the bottom of the dip,
just a tad of back angle.In order for you to get the key working at its
best, you will be need to make sure the balance pin is slightly forward
of upright to give that total freedom, this is an important detail and I
have found on some instruments, when you depress the key you feel a
variation in the resistance because that has not been understood.We now
come to balancing; I like the mass to be as low as possible and all
balancing done by carving away the wood not needed.There are usually a
few keys that are stubborn, the top treble key on a d3 has a lot of
wood, and I sometimes use a lead plug there.So I think Denis will need
to do that on the few he has that are not working well but do check the
friction freedom first.Generally speaking there is not a need to have
every key perfectly in balance with its neighbours, if the keys are
working well a little variation will not be noticed after the instrument
has been well voiced.I used to be very fussy with that detail but with
experience you learn where and where not to use your time.

Sorry for such a longwinded post.

--
www.michaeljohnsonharpsichords.co.uk