From:
Davitt Moroney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:17:33 -0700
"The Bach Harpsichord": no such thing can exist, of course. At
different times he will have had access to different kinds of
excellent instruments. But we'd all like to find our "ideal
harpsichord for Bach's music." Yet even that is impossible. My ideal
instrument for the Toccatas or French Suites is certainly not the
same as my ideal instrument for the much later Goldbergs or Art of
Fugue.

Nevertheless, the fascinating 1739 instrument by Johann Heinrich
Graebner of Dresden (now in Schloss Pillnitz, just outside Dresden)
has a lot more going for it than many other claimants, for at least
six reasons:
1) Geographically, it's close to JSB, who went often to the court at
Dresden, and Graebner was court instrument builder. JSB of course,
during the 1730s, was trying very hard to be at Dresden even more,
was busy there going to the opera with Wilhelm Friedemann,
inaugurating Silbermann organs, etc. Plus there was at the very least
a minor but direct personal connection since Bach taught one of the
Graebner boys at St Thomas's.
2) In terms of date, 1739 is the period from which I, personally,
most want a "Bach harpsichord." I look for the "ideal" instrument for
the Italian Concerto and French Ouverture (1735), the Goldbergs
(1741), WTC vol 2 (1742), the Musical Offering (1747), and the Art of
Fugue (1745-50). (Mietke, for example, simply died too early -- in
relation to JSB's great works for the harpsichord -- for his
instruments to be so compelling for me in that context.)
3) In terms of quality, it's a splendid instrument. (Yes, I know,
others are, too, in different ways...)
4) It also fits in with JSB's recorded preference for smaller
French-style keyboards, and is wonderfully comfortable to play. All
the large stretches in the Art of Fugue, for example, are playable,
including the big tenths in Contrapunctus 12 and even that augmented
11th between the Bass and the middle voice in Contrapunctus 13.
5) I just like that low, low D, which means it's also a great
instrument for continuo when playing with an ensemble that includes a
string contrabass.
6) It's a sober, relatively undemonstrative instrument that, when
playing JSB's music, is a perfect "tool" for the job in hand, one
that is responsive to the player's demands while also having a strong
personality of its own.

Best wishes,

DM

--