From:
David Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 15:13:27 -0500
At 09:51 07-11-03 -0800, Jenni Gehlbach wrote:
>Dear group of experts
>I am learning (slowly) to play the hpschd part of JSB's flute sonata
>BWV 1034  using the Barenreiter-Verlag 1966 edition. Can someone
>please help me sort out measure 58 of the first Allegro? The right
>hand and the flute have f naturals in the latter 3/4 of the bar, and
>yet the bass line has f sharps throughout the bar. Is this correct?
>Thanks in advance
>Jenni

I have a xerox of an edition with flute and figured bass.  I have no idea
WHICH edition it is.  However, there appears to be a difference from your
in that there is only ONE F in the flute (second quarter note, tied to next
1/16th); then follow three 1/16ths: e1, d#1, e; then an a1 1/4 tied to the
next bar.

The bass of this is

Figures        6        #6 6      nat 6               7nat     7   6/5

Notes     1/8: g, 1/16: f# g, 1/8: a, 1/16: b a, 1/8:  g   c1  f#  a

[The above uses the octave conventions for harpsichord string pitches.]

Thus the chords of the last two bass notes are an F# minor seventh -- root,
then first inversion -- which moves naturally to the B major 7th of the
next bar.

This makes perfect sense to me.  But if you have an F instead of an A in
the flute at the end of the bar...

Hope this helps (hopefully there are no typos!),

david