From:
Dale Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 2004 16:25:11 +0100
Woops!  That low e-flat escaped me.  Apologies to David & Froberger!

The wide compass needs no explanation, IMHO.

The objection to the introduction of such evidence is precisely the
assumption that it is evidence.  But it is surely no more satisfactory as
evidence of the particulars of Froberger's harpsichord than the d-flats &
g-flats in Buxtehude's organ works are satisfactory evidence of the tuning
of Buxtehude's organ.

My word "value" below refers to the value of a certain assumption.  Perhaps
my somewhat convoluted sentence rendered this less than clear?  The
assumption would be something like the following:  "Composers only composed
music for specific instruments which they had at their disposal".  Maybe
someone else will find a better formulation of this hypothesis, and then
proceed to demonstrate its validity &/or usefulness.

Regards,
Dale