From:
Tilman Skowroneck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 04:17:15 -0500
On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 09:14:57 +0100, Dean Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>This reminds me that Monteverdi in the preface to one of his madrigal
>collections complains of continuo players who do the opposite, namely,
>turning a bunch of repeated semiquavers (16th notes) into a semibreve.
>Monteverdi is most upset about this abuse of his music.
>
>Kind regards,
>
>Dean

Yup and here we can extract one of the very few guidelines that might help
us avoid certain things when we gladly and subjectively use parameters
like 'instrument', 'room acoustics' and 'our own mood' for making tie-
decisions: as soon as a bit of music has a connection with vocal style,
repetition would represent syllables [or, in continuo, complements a given
intensity of expression] and no repetition would change the meaning.

I gather it's understood, that the avoidance of downbeat-, or strong beat
attacks through random ties, or the introduction of wrong accents through
random re-attack, in dance music, is often undesirable [but sometimes very
appealing].
Tilman