From:
James McCarty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2008 06:21:49 -0600
on 2/19/08 9:28 PM, Doug Brooke at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Oh my lord, don't get me started about that!  Bad, yes.
>
> I could also gripe about the RKLee Delin clavycytherium with its impossible
> to fathom (less polite people would say unworkable) jack-to-bellcrank
> attachment (what was wrong with the way Delin did it?) and the unplayable
> drawing of the 1640 yale ruckers - the one where the strings cross the
> middle of the jackslots.
>

> doug
>

> Are you prepared to name the bad ones or at least the second rate ones,
> particularly those available as plans. I for one consider the RK Lee
> Pertici virginal to be an example.
>
> Richard

Yep, I have one of the virginal copies and its action is almost impossible,
for me at least, to play. I've heard others play it well, so the problem
must be with my technique. I will say that structurally it has been
completely stable, and it stays in tune remarkably well. John Bennett was
here last weekend, and we opened the virginal up to replace a broken
plectrum. There were only a few notes slightly out of tune. It always has
been that way. Although the sound of the thing is not very satisfying, the
decoration is a joy to behold. You can see pics on the list's photo web
site:

http://harpsichordphoto.org/mccarty/

I will comment further on Richard's post in another note.
--
James R. (Jay) McCarty, MD
Fort Worth, TX

"Sine arte, scientia nihil est"