From:
Gesine Lohr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 May 2016 23:17:22 -0700
Hi H peeps,

Interesting question!

Ian Pritchard, earlier this year, played a concert for MusicSources in
Berkeley -- I was out of town, but one of my housemates attended.  I
bought his download-album, and was tickled to find that he was using
the cd-recording-making/promoting site, CD Baby.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ianpritchard2
Available as MP3, MP3 320, and FLAC files.

http://www.amazon.com/LArpicordo-Century-Venetian-Keybord-Music/dp/B00GGAMN3A
a physical CD, or MP3s

I'd heard about CD Baby, from doing rock music and teaching rock
keyboard at girls rock camp.  CD Baby is aimed at the small musician,
the independent musician.

Searching on
CD baby harpsichord.....

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/elisabethwright2

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/sallymosher3

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/douglasamrine

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/josephgascho
Joe Gascho did a MusicSources concert in March -- he teaches at U
Michigan Ann Arbor --

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/pechefsky
Rebecca Pechefsky

I have no idea if these folks made their CDs elsewhere first and then
connected them to CD Baby, or if they initially made them thru CD
Baby.
Most of the indie rock and pop musicians, I think, make them thru CD Baby.

ANYhow!

Personally, I think it'd nice to be able to have option of a physical
CD, as well as downloads -- though I'm old! (64) --

http://members.cdbaby.com/make-discs.aspx
One thing that's interesting, CD Baby makes variable-number-of-CDs on
quick turnaround times, if you want to have CDs for an upcoming gig.

The way I'd first heard of CD Baby, and Diskmakers, is through
Sweetwater, which is a rock music store, run by musicians, good
prices, lots of good info, and they'll answer detailed questions about
gear (including my questions on some ancient rock keyboard gear I was
scrounging up for girls rock camp, so they had zero possible
money-making opportunities in the exchange) -- they seem like good
folks.
http://www.sweetwater.com/feature/discmakers/

Diskmakers has been in business 70 years --
http://www.discmakers.com/request/Special_PlanningYourAlbumSWEET1CA.asp

OK!  Time for bed!

Gesine

*******************
Subject: Cd v. Downloads

Dear Collected Wisdom,

The complete keyboard sonatas of Antonino Reggio are currently being
recorded. These will consist of 6-8 CDs.

The question is whether to produce CDs or to produce in a downloadable form
accessible via Internet.

What is the general consensus on this?

One consideration is the cost of production of CDs v. Downloads.

The next consideration is the format: MP3 or FLAC etc.

Would welcome comments.