From:
Michael Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:13:44 +0000
Good day to all,

Micaela Schmitz posted a few days ago notice of her inaugural Birmingham
recital for one of my doubles.

Birmingham University has a large music department attached to
Humanities, which is also becoming a major centre in the UK for early
music with the founding of C.E.M.P.R. (The Research Centre for Early
Music Performance and Research) by Dr Mary O’Neill.  Built in 1901 the
University was the first red brick complex to be built in the UK and was
funded by a wealthy Birmingham business family.   At that time funds
were allocated for a Gallery to be built to hold a very fine collection
of paintings and artefacts coupled with a strict brief of expansion.
On the ground floor of this building there is a fine 360 seat Art Deco
Concert Hall, which completes a remarkable building  ‘The Barber
Institute of Fine Art’.  I was very humbled and proud when one of my
doubles was chosen to add to the very fine collection of instruments
there purely for concert use.

Micaels’s recital of the Goldberg yesterday afternoon was truly
beautiful and it was such a joy for me to hear a performance where the
artist was listening to the instrument and the acoustics creating great
music by doing so.   Not a rush of tempo and an exhibition of what is a
fine technique which is so often the case today I feel.   The recital
was also very well attended, not always the case here I'm afraid.

Thanks you Micaela and The Barber Institute.

Michael