From:
Peter W Redstone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter W Redstone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2008 17:35:09 -0500
Hi folks! jay McCarty wrote:

>Re Bill's comment about recordings: There is a world of difference
>between listening to recordings on a very fine system and listening
on an
>iPod or a Bose Wave radio.

Not so! They ALL sound artificial!  I know a guy who spent thousands
on his system, complete with single-ended directly heated output
triodes (the modern equivalent of a PX4), and thousands more on his
speakers. I found it hard to simulate enthusiasm, he was so pleased
with it!  But the truth is I've _never_ heard anything that sounds
like the real thing!  That being so, I listen to recordings for the
actual playing style, registration etc. but not for the noise that
emerges from the machine!

best!

Peter Redstone
http://www.ctg.net/redstone