From:
Judith Conrad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 23:49:20 -0500
James suggests

> One needs to decide whether "commercially successful" is the main
> objective.  If so, in a nominally market economy, it behooves one
> to try to understand the demographics of the market, and  to
> discover what that market likes, and then produce something they
> like.

Obviously James did not read E. F. Schumacher's "Small is Beautiful"
30 years ago, or if he did he did not take it to heart. The Market,
says Schumacher, is the institutionalization of non-responsibility.
It takes the sacredness out of life, by equating everything, giving
everything a price and thus making it exchangeable. The Market is
much to prone too usurp the rest of life because it is driven by
certain very strong drives in human nature such as envy and greed
which some of us do not consider our finest qualities. And it is too
prone to lead one to think of work as simply a necessary evil with
which one buys leisure time, when it can be a creative and joyful
part of the living process.

Paraphrased while flipping through the first 3 chapters of the book
looking at sentences I underlined long ago.

Judy
--
http://home.mindspring.com/~judithconrad/index.html