From:
Owen Daly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 14:38:23 -0800
Interesting question.

It occurs to me that one of the more painful prospects for
conscientious builders is to see serious and gifted players - often
youngish ones - who simply cannot come up with the money to buy
really first-rate instruments. Builders are sometimes taken to task -
usually not by these players, mind you, but in general and only
implicitly - for somehow not finding ways to subsidize the placement
of their best works in these hands with whom we would most like to
see our work, but since most of us clear about minimum wage if that,
it's simply not possible.

So one thing I would strongly suggest is to spend all that time we
HOPE we've been given while this issue isn't exactly immediately
pressing, getting a feel for who the most artistically and morally
deserving starving young players might be  and considering making
them - without their knowledge, perhaps, in the interest of avoiding
awkwardness - beneficiaries.

Owen