Date:
Tue, 1 May 2007 06:09:59 -0700
At 02:19 PM 5/1/2007 +0200, Turpin wrote:

I don't come close to being qualified to speak as a "scholar" on this
issue, but I have spent a lot of time dancing to, and in some cases
playing, "folk" music from the Balkans and North Africa.  I have always
been struck by how similar some of it is to late Medieval and Renaissance
music from further west in Europe.  That's certainly reflected by the
instruments themselves.  After hearing a particularly striking example of
this kind of convergence on NPR in a program produced at Indiana U, I tried
to find out more from the producer of the show, whose name I have
forgotten, and basically drew a blank.  I got the impression from that
conversation that not much is known in detail about those
connections.  What does seem obvious is that a lot of people were traveling
around and exchanging music and dance during that extended period.  And
still are.

JB