From:
Owen Daly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Oct 2016 14:01:23 -0700
As Dongsok says, John Phillips and Karen Flint use Artek.

Here in Oregon I use a similar outfit, located in Portland, with establishments in Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, and, I think, Los Angeles. They’re called Artwork Fine Art Services, and specialize in crating and shipping (and storing, in their museum-quality climate-controlled giant warehouse in Portland) objects of fine art. They do all my crating and shipping, and handle everything, including being “known shippers” to Homeland Security. Pretty much all the same full service one would get with Artek. The only choice between them would be which is nearest-by. But a query to either company will quickly, I am confident, get people referred to someone of comparable professionalism in the field, closer to home.

Here’s the link to “my people”:

http://www.artworkfas.com/

Their old website was much more fun to visit, because it had nice pictures of works of art in their crates and such. I’ve urged them to put the “eye candy” back up on the site.

The crates are themselves robust works of art. Not cheap, but the safety of transport is worth every penny.

Locally, there is a VERY famous case of a harpsichord owner getting very shirty and snippy about not letting “a bunch of ordinary people,” (ie harpsichord makers and technicians and the like) move their harpsichord, presumably only across town or the like. This many years ago. Nope, they had to have “REAL PROFESSIONAL PIANO MOVERS” do it. They hired the professionals, who promptly piled a big Steinway on top of the harpsichord, and drove a leg of the Steinway down through the lid, through the soundboard, and down into the bottom. I think it took a distinguished Portland harpsichord maker nearly a year to repair the big gaping hole through the harpsichord.

Our own Dr. Calhoun is more familiar with the whole sorry tale, and retelling it, with a colorful affekt of horror and disgust, is one of his very favorite things. I think he may have been one of the mere “ordinary people” who were rejected for moving the harpsichord, as offering too much of a risk.

I’d steer clear of the piano movers, and get the harpsichord professionally crated and shipped.

Owen

Owen Daly Early Keyboard Instruments
557 Statesman St. NE
Salem, OR 97301