From:
"Michael J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 18:18:12 -0500
On Tuesday 02 November 2004 16:08, David Pickett wrote:

> For me the fall is much earlier -- in bar 11.

I guess if we want to treat the piece programmatically,
we'd want to match it up to the events narrated in
Froberger's little Latin note on the piece. It's very
circumstantial about the events leading up to the death --
after dinner(*) they "walked it off" [deambulasset] in the royal
garden and then B. went home and, having something to do,
[aliquid facturus] went upstairs, and fell from thence.

But then. F goes on into some detail about who carried B. to bed,
and about the medical treatment, and about his deathbed
conversation. The note concludes "ultimum spiritum coepit trahere,
animam exhalare" -- went to take his last breath, and exhaled his
soul. Maybe that's what the last scale is.

(*) Who's this Domina de St Thomas?