From:
Michael Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 May 2007 08:52:58 +0100
turpin d'isigny-ffytche wrote:

> I would not imagine there is a normal width for a band.

Correct,

> To my taste
> they are usually too wide.

Your taste, mine I never inflict on others.

> But different proportions will make different
> impressions:

That again is true and important.

> The MacT's also suggest making the lower band a tad wider than the
> upper,

You have misunderstood Ann's point there.   She makes all the bands the
same width but you create a wider colour band at the bottom to help
perspective and likewise on the lid banding.   The same theory is
usually applied to mottoes to take into consideration the angle of the
open lids.

> I agree with the MacTs that the edge can be nicer if it is not made
> with masking tape, but with guidance from an incised line - not a cut
> but a long thin dent, so made with a blunt edge (before paint).

The juries out on that one as far as I'm concerned,  Ann and Peter are
very close friends of mine and I really admire their knowledge, creative
ability and skills; but as with my dear wife, I do not agree with all
she says.

The finest leaf money can buy and regrettably good 24 hour size can no
longer be bought;  Ann and I are still moaning about that.

--
www.michaeljohnsonharpsichords.co.uk