From:
John Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2008 10:30:10 -0500
>Martin Usher wrote:
>
>that Mars lander debacle a
>few years ago where a several hundred millions of dollars of project was
>destroyed because one supplier was still working in FPS pretty much
>underscored the need to use conforming measurements.
>
>We also use SI in most high school science classes now.

Translation into English, please, for the uninitiated.  FPS?  SI?

This is known in the education business as "jargon," and we are
discouraged from using it in the catalog descriptions for new courses
even though WE know what we're talking about!

John

--
John R. Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music