From:
Nathan I Smutz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:35:53 -0800
Hi all,

A while ago there was a spot on PBS (I'm in Oregon USA) about the
National Music Museum.  I'm not sure I've got the name right.
They were talking about, among other things, an unmodified (short neck)
Stradivarius in their collection.  They were talking about how they
decided that it should be played publicly once every generation.  A
fellow was comparing their unplayed musical instruments to furniture that
isn't used for storing clothes anymore.  I'm sure I have lots of bias as
a musician, but keeping spectacular instruments quiet seems much more
tragic and perverse.
I can understand the curators' paranoia though.  They showed a clip of a
performer holding four priceless violins at the same time (two in each
hand), and bowing over the edge of the stage.

Make a joyful noise,
Nathan

For if they do these things in a green tree, what shall be done in the
dry?
-Jesus