From:
Jack Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2008 12:03:02 -0800
This list is really no measure for the interest in general. More people
move in everyday bringing their instruments and telling me of others. In
these first days of early spring there seems to be an awakening from the
dark dormant months to dusting off, dragging out and dreaming. So many
of the commentary has been true but the interest is coming from new
people who are totally new to this acoustic keyboard thing. Just
yesterday son and daughter of a gentleman in Maine who build 5 or six
kit instruments showed off his earliest Slabside and a Hubbard bentside
built in the 60'ies and seventies that needed tweeking etc The slabside
had a decent tone and 2 unisons and 2 buff stops. The owner is the
builders widow now 88 who wants to play it again. Just a little tuning
got these folks interested in their music again.
    I really think we get side tracked with all the storm and stress of
modern tech life. It's great to kick back to earlier safer days when you
could light a fire and play the harpsichord.
Fireplaces are harder to find than harpsichords. What better solice from
a snowbound winter than a clavichord which can still be played when the
lights go out. Just some thoughts. JP