From:
Rodney Myrvaagnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2008 16:11:35 -0500

> > Guess again. Plenty of brass-strung instruments sound fine in the treble.
>
> Specifically I mean the Pertici virginal which I think would be a better
> with iron scaling. Most brass strung harpsicords seem to have exellent
> trebles.

I'm sorry I don't have that drawing here, but the treble of the Obici surely is shorter. I did finally string that in iron, but that so the extremely foreshortened bass would have a better chance. The treble sounded fine in brass, but the iron let me raise the pitch.

Indeed, I like the treble in the Obici enough that I have been tempted to make a virginal based on that, but with longer bass strings. I have to resist such urges. There is no place for another instrument here.

Rodney Myrvaagnes

Please send emails to
rodneym (AT) alumni (DOT) tufts (DOT) edu
with obvious corrections.