From:
Rob Brooke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 2016 15:42:01 -0500
Philip, if I knew exactly which words to use to steer you away from the
Burton, I would use them. I have had maintenance experience with two of
them and whenever I get a call to work again on either of them, I give a
quiet little shudder. However, if you insist, perhaps I can lighten your
load. As the molded-in plectra break, as all plectra inevitably will, I
have found that with a very modest amount of rework, a Burton jack can
be fitted with a Hubbard&Broekman tongue, thus solving the problems of a
busted plectrum and a possibly weakened plastic tongue return spring in
one lick. Of course, you'll have to put in a new plectrum and voice it,
but you'd have to do that no matter what kind of jacks you had.

In this way, you can keep using the existing Burton jacks, replacing the
tongues piecemeal as plectra break or return springs become useless. It
is no inconsequential thing to replace a whole set of jacks. You would
pay more for the new jacks alone than the instrument is worth. The
Burton jacks already have the advantage of fitting their registers
properly, so I would certainly counsel going the tongue replacement
route. Hubbard tongues are pretty cheap and you can buy a handful or two
to start up and always keep some on hand for later. If you do go this
route, send me an email off-list and I will tell you what I do to
replace the tongue of a Burton jack.

As to the $1,500 asking price, the Burton would have to be in very good
shape to be worth that. If it is obviously very well-made and is
playable except for a few broken plectra, it might be worth it. If it
seems to need major work - jammed registers indicating case failure,
significant soundboard cracks, strings losing bearing on the bridge or
visual signs of things stuck or damaged, I'd give it a miss. Check the
Harpsichord Clearing House on the internet to find possibly better
instruments within your budget.

Good luck,

Rob

--