Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 07:22:06 +0200
>I think I remember reading that the felt used for hats in the 19th century
was
>from beaver fur - not sheep's wool.  That's why the fur trade boomed and
>enriched the north woods.  Maybe the beaver felt has to be processed
>differently.  It certainly feels different, very linear not just squashed
and
>matted.  I cannot remember why I've felt (pun) of a beaver hat, but I
have.
>Different stuff.

Hi,
Any furry animal, really. On the continent, rabbit fur was particulerly
popular. Old felt in general, and hat felt, very good hat felt even now, is
hat is called in German Haarfilz=hairfelt, and the fivers are very long and
linear as Beth put it. The stuff is stronger as softer, more plyable at the
sane time. This is the stuff found in piano kapsels, and  we have no choise
but to what is called , again in German, die Puppe which can translate both
to doll or larva, the roughly bowl shaped handmade piece  hatters make HIGH
priced hats from.

regards,

Bill

http://www.william-jurgenson.com