From:
Gesine Lohr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2017 23:38:25 -0700
Hi harpsichord peeps,

Thanks Andrew, for the clarification!

1)  First of all, I would hope if we had such, it would not be a
"gentlemen's" agreement, as we are not all gentlemen.  (Yep, old
radical feminist here!)(but really, peeps!)

2)  Why did I post that link?  Because I thought someone might be
excited to buy a kit for cheap, maybe someone who doesn't have much
money, or someone who might be interested in building it to sell to
someone who doesn't have much money.  And yep, I have no knowledge of
what such kits are like, and I don't know anything about clavichords.

My housemates and I look at craigslist a lot, because for 5 years I've
been scrounging up keyboards for the girls rock program I volunteer
at.  One of my housemates particularly looks at harpsichord listings,
for fun.

I think that anything that potentially increases access to
instruments, is something we should be for.

The first harpsichord I had ongoing playing access to was a Zuckermann
kit, painted bright green with many decoupaged pictures of
harpsichords pasted to it.  It was in the band storage closet at
Foothill Junior College, in 1977.  It was very badly put together and
difficult to play.  The only time I had access to it was when the band
was playing,  so I'd be playing the harpsichord from inside the band
storage closet while the band practiced (good ear training).  Would I
must wait til you can have access to a $25,000 harpsichord (in which
case I would not have started playing harpsichord at all).

3)  My favorite harpsichord I have ever touched is a Cornelius Bom
transposing Flemish, which I got to play on for a week.  What are the
chances I might ever have an instrument like that?  Zero.  I can still
love them!  But one of the things we do at girls rock camp, is try to
figure out how to get keyboards to more people -- and maybe they'd
really like to have the most awesome Korg synthesizer, but we're gonna
find them a 20-year-old Yamaha -- and that's what they'll start
playing on.  But they'll start playing.

Gesine

***********************
From:    Andrew Bernard <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Oh boy - virginal kit on craigslist

Hello David,

No such thing. From the HPSHD-L guidelines for contributors:

The list is an open forum for all topics related to these instruments,
including their theory and principles of construction, decoration, and
history and evolution from their earliest beginnings through modern times.
Other topics for discussion include performers on these instruments,
performance practice, literature, pedagogy, care and ownership. We may also
stray to include ads of instruments/music/recordings for sale or wanted,
discussion of performances or recordings, and musical editions.

http://www.albany.edu/hpschd-l/hrpguide.html

Andrew