From:
Ibo Ortgies <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2017 12:55:57 +0100
Dear Claudio, Dale and all

indeed, you are right: Jarvis' claims have been thoroughly debunked and
most substantially by Bach-scholar Ruth Tatlow in
"*A Missed Opportunity: Reflections on Written by Mrs Bach*
<https://www.bachnetwork.org/understanding-bach/ub10/>."
in: *Understanding Bach* 10, 2015.

See even

Alex Ross: "*The Search for Mrs. Bach*
<https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/case-mrs-bach>."
In: *The New Yorker* (October 31), 2014.

Peter Phillips [the conductor of *The* *Tallis Scholars*]: "*Our hero
worship of Bach is to blame for rubbish like ‘Written By Mrs Bach’
<https://www.spectator.co.uk/2015/04/our-hero-worship-of-bach-is-to-blame-for-rubbish-like-written-by-mrs-bach/>.*
"
In: The Spectator (April 4), 2015.

Tim Cavanaugh: "*Bogus Bach Theory Gets Media Singing*
<http://www.nationalreview.com/article/391379/bogus-bach-theory-gets-media-singing-tim-cavanaugh>
."
In: *National Review Online* (October 29), 2014.

*“I am sorry you have to deal with this,” Harvard professor Christoph
Wolff, one of the preeminent living Bach scholars, tells *National Review
Online*. *
*“I am sick and tired of this stupid thesis. When I served as director of
the Leipzig *Bach Archive* from 2001 to 2013, I and my colleagues there
extensively refuted the basic premises of the thesis, on grounds of
documents, manuscript sources, and musical grounds. There is not a shred of
evidence, but Jarvis doesn’t give up despite the fact that several years
ago, at a Bach conference in Oxford, a room full of serious Bach scholars
gave him an embarrassing showdown.”*

[...]
*“It seems that he examined neither the great corpus of Bach sources nor
the validity of methodology and research outcome by Dr Georg von Dadelsen
of *The University of Tübingen* and Dr Yoshitake Kobayashi of *
Johann-Sebastian-Bach-Institut* in Göttingen, Germany,” Tomita tells *National
Review Online*. “They are revered Bach scholars who founded the new
chronology of Bach’s works through the identification of copyists, which
took them and their followers several decades to perfect. It is simply
impossible for a scholar who is so isolated in a corner of Australia
(Darwin) where there are no resources to carry out such an extensive
research in less than a decade.”*
[...]
*“There are numerous errors as regards the account of Bach’s life,” Tomita
tells *NRO* of Jarvis’s Ph.D. thesis. “There is nothing new that he
uncovered from his own archival research. All new is his imagination. There
is no objective evidence he has uncovered through his archival work. He
found it in his head.”*

I think the case can be regarded as closed.

Kind regards

Ibo

Dr. Ibo Ortgies

LinkedIn Profile <http://se.linkedin.com/pub/ibo-ortgies/12/9a3/3b3>