From:
Penny Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2008 10:17:06 -0500
Concerning dance and music:

I've played harpsichord or recorder for renaissance dance
recreations...and have also danced myself.  Dancers need the constant
beat.  Can't find Arbeau's Orchesography (1588) at the moment...but he
describes and notates the drum patterns for various dances, which, he
relates,  are similar to those used for military maneuvers. For the
Pavan, he gives the pattern of half note quarter quarter, which is not
to be altered or changed in the course of dancing.  Confirming previous
comments, the leaps of the galliard and tossing in the air of the volta
(Elizabeth's dance portrait) are difficult enough without having to be
concerned with an unconstant beat.  Clothing and  footwear of the period
influence posture, height of leaps...where arms are placed, etc.

In modern Irish dance competitions (Feis) I've often seen the
instrumentalist with a metronome at hand to insure a specific tempo for
the dancers...again, the leaps and athletic nature needs a constant
tempo, and, if not, can throw off those dancers that are sensitive to
the beat.  An interesting/annoying  cacophony of sound and percussive
taps at those events!

Cheers!
Penny Draper