From:
Michael Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 09:10:22 -0500
On Wednesday 05 November 2003 15:16, Doug Brooke wrote:

> He chose colonoscopy patients as a model.
[....]
> He found that a patient's memory of the experience correlated almost
> precisely with the average of two points, the degree of pain at the end of
> the procedure and the point of the most intense pain.  The memory was
> independant of the duration of the procedure or the average level of pain
> during it.

Being a gent of a certain age, I can speak with some authority on the
aforementioned procedure. Mine were always extremely unpleasant
until I found a doctor who was magnanimously lavish with the Demerol.
Transformed my whole perception of the process. I watched on the video
screen. It was like Fantastic Voyage, except that Raquel Welch was, alas,
nowhere in evidence.

Demerol might be the right answer for some kinds of music. The name
Schoenberg comes to mind.

Incidentally (ObPedantry) shouldn't this thread be called "Birkenstock
shod early musicians"?

--Michael J. Smith