Date:
Sun, 12 Jun 2016 10:17:26 -0700
Hello Tilman (and all),

I attended several of the Westfield Center's "Cembalophilia" events at
the recent Berkeley Festival (specifically the Alan Curtis panel
discussion, the 7 honorary performances and the concerts by Carole
Cerasi & Edward Parmentier).My perspective is primarily as a long-term
devoted listener, although I have built 3 harpsichord kits andnow
struggle at becoming a self-taught player (definitely a daunting
proposition).

Somehow, I have not heard of the Westfield Center before but find it a
very worthy endeavor.I have attended several past Berkeley (& one
Boston) festivals and have never experienced this enhanced degree of
attention to solo harpsichord music.In particular, it was very
exhilarating to have this number of first-rate performers together in
one place!

That said, I have a few caveats.The choice of venue was rather
unfortunate, as the high level of street noise intruded incessantly on
the otherwise excellent performances.Could the Berkeley City Club have
provided a more secluded room?If not, I would vote for the venue to be
changed in the future (I have not found noise to be a problem at most
any other Festival performances).Also,the instrument usage was rather
uneven;the superb Derek Adlam muselar was only heard once & the fine
Italian instrument not at all.Finally, there was almost no discussion of
these superb instruments as per their relationship to the music being
played.I know about this but I'm unusual; many folks there probably didn't.

Still, I look forward to hearing more from the Westfield Center and
applaud their efforts in focusing attention on early keyboards
(suggestion: clavichord & even fortepiano should not be left out)?

Peter Yingling

Prescott, Arizona