From:
Peter Bavington <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2017 08:03:49 +0100
Phillip Allen wrote:

> How do I determine what size hole to drill for these [3.45 mm] tuning pins?

Trial and error: do some test holes in a piece of wood of the same
species as the wrestplank. I'd try a 3.4 mm drill first. But drills do
not always drill *exactly* the nominal hole size in wood, and such
things as the roughness of the pin affect force needed to turn it in the
wrestplank, so as always trial and error is your friend.

> How tight should the pin be in the hole?

Common sense should tell you the answer. Tight enough for it to stay put
when the tension is on the pin, but free enough for it to turn quite
smoothly with the leverage of your tuning key. Tensions on a clavichord
are not likely to be in excess of about 9 kgf so the usual fault is to
make the pins too tight rather than too loose. I would not go so far as
to say (like Ed Kottick) that if you can't turn it with your bare hands,
then it is tight enough, but he is on the right lines.

> How far down the hole should one be able to insert the pin before it
> requires hammering?

You will not be able to push it in very far with your bare fingers -
just the tapered part and 2 or 3 mm more (basically the thickness of the
soundboard covering the wrestplank). But DON'T hammer the pin into the
hole. Push down with the tuning key, turning this way and that. If you
can't do this, the hole is too tight. [I know some members of this list
will disagree with this.]

In practice about 20-25 mm finishing up buried in the wood is sufficient
for most clavichord pins, but it does depend a bit on the length of the
pins and the depth of the case rim, and the amount of downbearing etc.
etc. Drill the holes deeper than this so the pins are in no danger of
bottoming out.

Peter.

--
Peter Bavington