From:
Jon-o Addleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 18:35:26 -0400
On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 05:14:51PM -0400, David Pickett spake thusly:
> Scripsit Jon-o,
>

> >My harpsichord has by far the worst crack I've ever seen on an
> >instrument that hasn't been stepped on or shot at. The entire
> >soundboard is split all the way along the spine, from bellyrail to
> >tail. Oddly enough, it still sounds fine!
>
> I had a crack near the spine, though not as big as that.  When I repaired
> it, the bass response definitely improved.

I'm not sure this instrument needs any more bass, really... the
treble's the weakest part of it. In any case, I think a fix of this
would be a massive undertaking... not something I'm going to attempt
any time soon.

> >I have some soundfiles online of it, if anyone's interested - not
> >much, and the quality's not fantastic, since it was recorded from
> >the audience. But it's interesting.
> >Not the best performance either, I hasten to add.. but it's there!
> >
> >http://redowl.dyndns.org/phantasticke_spirites/recordings.php - look
> >for the Boehm suite, for solo harpsichord.
>
> Couldnt get anything when I tried to access this page.

Drat.. sorry about that. It's fixed now. I was mucking about with
that computer this morning, and apparently something I didn't didn't
agree with something else. . . Try it again!

--
Jon-o Addleman