From:
David Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 2016 15:53:04 +0100

page  http://www.denzilwraight.com/quillbasic.htm by Denzil Wraight where he
 >recommends oiling the undersides of quills.

There are also other pages relevant to this linked to on Denzil's
website: http://www.denzilwraight.com/quilling.htm

I missed this new finding (also Tilman's update).

I have been concerned myself about this problem of quills hardening
after a while.  I could not understand the mechanism involved and am
not sure that it is fully explained on Denzil's site; but I will
certainly try the underneath oiling.  I looked up Ballistol and was
pleased to find that it is not an obscure product.  They have a
comprehensive website and many varieties (including for bicycle,
which is also good news to me), mostly stocked by Conrad.

Questions:

Which of the Ballistol oils is appropriate for quills?  "Universal
Oil"? http://www.ballistol.de/90-0-BALLISTOL-Universal-Oel-.html or a
different one?

Denzil: "When the quill was given a single, liberal application of
Ballistol on the underside..."  Presumably the usual advice applies
not to get any on the tongue -- or does this not matter with Ballistol?

Is it preferable to soak new quills in oil before cutting and using
them?  It seems that this might be a bit messy, and might make it
more difficult to hold them while cutting.  But I'd be interested to
hear from members who do this, as doing so should be quicker in the
long run than taking each jack out and oiling quills individually,
which is what I need to do at this point.

Crow v Goose

I have been using Canada Goose quills for some years now.  They have
the advantage that they fit into flat slots, such as are made for
delrin, whereas crow needs curved slots.  But I am interested to know
whether flat-slotted jacks have survived from before 1800, or were
they all curved, indicating that goose was not used?

Another difference is that the goose feathers have fibres in them
that I dont think are found in crow.  This must have SOME effect.

A last question: do quills have a use by date?  How long can one keep
them (unsoaked) before first use?

A Happy, well-oiled and "click-free" New Year to all,

David