From:
David Hitchin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 May 2016 08:09:00 +0100
At 04:17 14/05/2016, Andrew Bernard wrote:
>  My search for 'de Falla harpsichord recording' produced dozens of
> hits. Since it is actually quite difficult to obtain a Pleyel for a
> recording in general, you will find probably most of the recordings
> are not using one. You will have to make your own enquiries as to
> what instrument is used, as this is normally not specified.
>
>My colleague over here in Australia owns a Pleyel from the 1960's,
>fully restored. It is a glorious instrument with a wonderful sound,
>when adjusted and renovated by a skilled maker.

There is a similar situation in the clavichord world. Herbert
Howell's wrote "Lambert's Clavichord" in 1928 after hearing a revival
clavichord made by Herbert Lambert, and it was Lambert who inspired
Tom Goff to build harpsichords and clavichords. Goff's instruments
were not built on historic lines and are now rather out of fashion.

On a visit to Christopher Hogwood's house I found a Goff clavichord
in the basement and, with a feeling of scepticism, started to play
it. It was certainly not suitable for playing the early repertoire,
but I at once fell in love with it, friendly touch, beautiful tone
and a long sustain, just inviting improvisation and I felt that the
instrument was doing all of the work for me. So I didn't fault it for
being unhistoric, but welcomed it as a new kind of instrument.

Now the sad thing about "Lambert's Clavichord" is that for many years
there have been no recordings on the kind of instrument for which it
was intended; the two currently available are on piano and
lautenwerk. A recording on a historically informed clavichord would
be no better, and I hope one day to hear it on a clavichord of Tom Goff's.

David