From:
Ellsworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 20:06:25 -0500
I think I remember reading that the felt used for hats in the 19th century was
from beaver fur - not sheep's wool.  That's why the fur trade boomed and
enriched the north woods.  Maybe the beaver felt has to be processed
differently.  It certainly feels different, very linear not just squashed and
matted.  I cannot remember why I've felt (pun) of a beaver hat, but I have.
Different stuff.
        Margaret