From:
Michael Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2006 07:16:15 +0100
Peter Redstone wrote:

> In the organ world, it is possible
> to reproduce an instrument using ALL the same materials as the old ones
> (well - at least till they ban the use of lead as being hazardous!!!).
> In the harpsichord world this (to date) cannot be done since there is as
> yet, NO wire that corresponds to that which the old makers used.  So
> with the best will in the world we cannot be sure how close to the sound
> of the old instruments ours come. That is why serious analysis of the
> iron wire currently being developed by Stephen Birkett is so essential.

My work is inspired by the masters I respect from the past  but is of
this century and I personally would not be happy going down the road of
exact copy; what does that mean anyway?   The reason why this simple me
has settled for Flemish is, I consider the design factor amongst the
best and I do like the earthy sound of those beautiful instruments.
The exercise is to enjoy and admire the work of the past but realise you
are now and hopefully will be in a position to give something to the
future.

He who tries,

www.michaeljohnsonharpsichords.co.uk