From:
Tilman Skowroneck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 16:39:24 -0500
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 22:07:45 +0100, Thomas Dent <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>My parents still have a pair of Wharfedale speakers from I think the
>70s back at home - I wouldn't go so far as saying they are
>'realistic', but they do a better job with LPs than any I've come
>across (admittedly I have almost no experience of expensive audio),
>don't soften the top end and don't spread the bass. Not to be to OT,
>but those are a couple of prerequisites to get anywhere with listening
>to harpsichord recording.

Great example of what _really_ is needed when we're talking good equipment
for listening to hpschd (or other) music: ears. Okay - sure: 'weakest link
in the chain' and so on; somtimes some audio part throws an extra shovel of
grit into the equation, but let's face it: there's nothing out there in
mumbo jumbo land that can eliminate the fact that we're listening to cones
or membranes that try sounding like a harpsichord.

Some people like driving around in a Porsche to show the world that they own
a Porsche. It is totally okay if one finds one's stereo equipment better in
the Porsche way, i.e. because it's been more expensive. But before I don't
hear that its  more realistic, I don't care much about how much someone paid
for making or buying a piece of audio stuff.
T.