From:
Nicholas Bunning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2008 23:30:44 -0500
Sorry to talk about the most evil of modern harpsichords,  but i need
a lil help..

As a few of you know  I bought Sylvia Marlowe's ex-white Pleyel.   One
sad thing is she had the 'Wanda Landowska quote' sanded off the top of
the jackrail. (You know, the quote Pleyel put on all the jackrails
about her wanting the 16' adding).   It seems to be some kind of
decal....  and I was wondering if anyone knew how i might go about
getting it replaced....  The COOL thing is, it does have Landowska's
signature in pencil on the UNDERSIDE of the jackrail.  I recently saw
some G O R G E O U S LY restored  nineteenth / early twentieth century
pianos at various piano dealers on W 58th St , and they have new
decals on the fallboards (which were facsimiles of the original
ones... )   so there must be some way of dealing with this problem.
This harpsi is also fantastic as its one of the only ones to have an
original decorated soundboard...  so the effect is very boudoir..

It makes me wonder why Puyana, Ehlers AND Marlowe  would all opt to
have Landowska's name removed from their instruments?   Maybe she was
a bitch?

Does anyone know of Mercier Ytiher's contact info?  He seems an expert

I was talking to Hal Chaney about it's arrival today...   He told me
he knew the instrument, and remembered it being a very fine one. He
then asked me if i knew  this harpsichord had a nickname...  I replied
"no"  and asked what it was...  he said "its called KILLER"   and then
explained that when it was being moved from her apartment on 67th
Street it fell  and KILLED one of the movers.   It was then sent back
to Pleyel in Paris for repair... (i have the letters documenting this
too)  where they did some upgrades to the pedals and put new legs on
it.  I dont know how many harpsichords have a deadly history?  .. I 'm
utterly thrilled one of mine does.

Any info on the jackrail lettering stuff  and Ythier's addy ...   I'd
be grateful