From:
Rodney Myrvaagnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2007 08:15:33 +0400
> I sort of let the Rameau/Bach/radio announcer thread slip by, but
> wanted to add this thought.  No, Rameau was not Bach, but neither was
> Bach Rameau.  They and their music were quite different, but that is
> not to judge that either was at all "better" or "worse" than the
> other, whatever that is taken to mean.  They worked in different
> cultures, and their music represented those different cultures rather
> well.

Quite so, and thanks for saying it.

[snip]

> Bach's music is also incredibly sturdy, and survives and even
> transforms any transcription of it I've ever heard.  I question
> whether the same could be said for "Switched-On Rameau," but it would
> be an interesting experiment!!

I am sure it would not work. I have heard enough orchestrations and piano performances of the chicken piece alone to convince me that even Rameau cannot transcribe Rameau, much less anyone else.

Rodney Myrvaagnes

Please send emails to
rodneym (AT) alumni (DOT) tufts (DOT) edu
with obvious corrections.