From:
Rob Brooke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 2016 09:28:14 -0500
Vincent, from your most recent post, I assume that the scale of your
Italian harpsichord is 10.5". That is pretty much in the middle of the
range for most C/E - c'" Italian harpsichords (10" to 11") and should
stand in brass at A-440. I know that an 11" scale will stand in brass at
A-415 and decreasing the scale by 1/2" should allow brass for A-440. I
have worked on Italians strung in iron and from my experience with them,
to my ears, brass sounds much, much better.

One must remember that the thinner gauges of wire are somewhat stronger
than the larger diameters, so if you experience any breakage, it will
likely be in the tenor. Italian scales remain /just/ all the way to c
below middle c. As the diameter of the wire increases as one goes from
treble to bass, the wire becomes commensurately weaker. So if the wire
is close to the edge in the treble, it may pass the edge in the tenor.
The bass is usually immune because the scale keeps getting shorter in
the lowest octave.

If you do get some breakage in the tenor, do a little analysis. If a
string breaks at a bridge, nut or tuning pin, either the brass wire may
have had a fault at that point or the scale is too long there. If the
breakage is at the hitchpin loop, you must make better loops, which
usually means using a technique which avoids stress on the wire as the
loop is made. Brass is considerably more fragile than iron and more
susceptible to flaws in the making of loops. If a string simply won't
stand, I have grudgingly replaced it with iron. If the scale really is
too long for brass, iron doesn't sound all that bad, just as the
transition from brass to iron in Franco-French instruments is unnoticeable.

All my instruments have transposing keyboards, 415 to 440, so I avoid
the issue of "will it stand at A-440?" and the stringing is really A-415
stringing.

I hope these observations  will help your decision. I have avoided
telling you, "String it in brass!" but if it were my instrument, I would
string it in brass without a qualm.

Best wishes for a successful outcome,

Rob

--