From:
"John.Howell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 15:13:16 -0500
>Have you ever wondered how to dance on that sarabande you're learning
>to play? This is an interesting site with free videoclips:
>
>http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/dihtml/diessay1.html
>
>Best,
>
>Chris.

Unfortunately the article is filled with misinformation from
beginning to end, including the idea that the ms. was "published"
when, in fact, I believe that it was a hand-copied (and rather
expensive) gift presentation copy.  The illustration is of MS (which
means manuscript--hand copied) 9085, Bibliothèque de Bourgogne,
Brussels.

The notated tenor was not played by a shawm, but by a slide trumpet,
while the 2 shawms players improvised above it.  Thus we have no idea
about how it actually sounded.  The description in Arbeau was
published (i.e. printed) a century later, and probably represents the
youthful memories of an old priest of a dance that was already out of
fashion in his lifetime.

John

--
John & Susie Howell