From:
Rob Brooke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 2016 20:12:45 -0500
Yes, go-bar decks are the /sine qua non/ of the harpsichord maker but
the initial question was "how long" should go-bars be. Well, a little
longer than the distance between the upper deck and the matter to be
clamped is a simplistic answer. The originator of this thread appears to
have a deck with a fixed distance between the upper and lower surfaces.
If one is going to have to clamp materials of varying thicknesses, one
must have sets  of go-bars of different lengths to accommodate the
different distances between the materials to be clamped and the upper
deck. As the distances grow shorter, the go-bars must become thinner or
the pressure will rise accordingly. Given the fixed distance (38" as I
recall) the only way to determine the length/thickness of the go-bars is
by experiment.

I agree with Michael Johnson that ash is the best material for use as
go-bars. He has broken three; I have broken one and that was because I
was too lazy to move my lower deck down and over-bent a go-bar. Ash also
retains its springiness over multiple uses without losing any of the
pressure it applies. I do take care to "reverse the curve" if a go-bar
seems a bit bowed, bending it the other way next time it is used.
However, between uses they straighten out almost completely.

Just as an aside, I cannot imagine having a go-bar deck which is not
adjustable to increase or decrease the distance between upper and lower
surfaces. The notion of having multiple sets of go-bars seems a great
deal more complicated than being able to move a deck up or down.
Adjustment methods need not be expensive or exotically engineered. I
would love to have a set of scissor jacks with which to crank my lower
deck up and down but I get along with a set of four shim sizes of 2"x6"
pine to move the deck to preset positions. Since I build pretty much the
same instrument (Italian 17th Century) repeatedly, this works for me. If
I built all sorts of stuff, I'd invest in the scissor jacks.

Rob

--
ROBERT BROOKE HARPSICHORDS
4214 18th Ave W