From:
Jonathan Addleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2007 23:36:52 -0400
Peter Blackett wrote:
> Hi,
> I am in the Uk, but can't see it as I am using a Mozilla browser and Linux.
> regards Peter

I already sent this to David directly, but I'll just post it here so
anyone with linux (or mplayer on other OSs) can do this. Forgive the
off-topicness, and technobabble!

Unfortunately, it's a little tricky. I use linux, and there are many
utilities that let you play and save movies. I'm not sure if the
instructions below will help, but maybe you know someone with linux or
another system that could make use of these instructions? Here's what I
would do, in any case:

first of all, use firefox with the "Download Embedded" extension. You
can get that from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1993
It can't actually save the movie, unfortunately, but it will let you
grab the URL to it! When you go to the page with the embedded movie,
you'll see a red arrow in the status bar. Clicking that will open a
window that lets you copy the 'mms://...' URL.

Then, at a console window, run mplayer with the URL and the -dumpstream
option:

mplayer "mms://........." -dumpstream

Make sure the URL is in quotes, as above! You'll then find a file called
'stream.dump', which is the movie data. To re-encode it to a more usable
format, you can use the following command (it's a long one!)

mencoder stream.dump -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video -oac lavc
-fps 25 -o nicer.avi

That should give you a standard avi file, using the mpeg2 codec for
video, and plain mp3 for audio. Just about anyone should be able to play
that without any trouble.

I should mention, too, that there are other ways to do this! An easier
way, in windows or MacOS, might be to use VLC - http://www.videolan.org.
It should also be able to save and convert the stream - it has a fairly
easy-to-use wizard for doing that, though there are still a lot of
options. You'd still need to use the firefox extension or something
similar to get the proper URL though.

--
Jon-o Addleman - http://www.redowl.ca