From:
Stuart Frankel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 2016 16:00:45 -0500
I wasn't able to post to the list for some years, and other people have
had a similar problem.

A work-around that works for me is to send mail through port 6465,
rather than the default 487 or 565. Your email provider has to allow
this, but it's easy to check. Just reconfigure your mail program and
send a test message (to yourself, for example); it will bounce if your
email provider won't allow mail to be sent through that port.

In Thunderbird, go to edit/account settings/outgoing server (SMTP), and
change the port there. Other mail programs typically operate similarly.

Stop reading here unless you're not bored yet.

The problem is that U Iowa thinks that mail originates from the IP
address associated with either a personal or other server you run (I had
this problem) or from a proxy if you connect to the internet through one
(I had this problem, too).

Either way, these servers or proxies typically wind up on one or another
blacklists because of configuration issues that are not necessary, or
sometimes even possible, to resolve, and U Iowa thinks that our messages
might be coming from a spammer, so they're blocked.

U Iowa is clearly silly here, not only because email providers usually
block spam on their own, but especially since only list members can post
and they have to confirm each posting manually. I would guess that U
Iowa implemented university-wide policies and didn't think about
public-facing mailing lists.

Port 6465 takes care of this problem by stripping the erroneous or
misleading "originating IP" information and transmitting only the IP of
the server that actually sends the message. Assuming that *that's* not
on a blacklist, the message will go through.

best,
  Stuart
--
i still have a very small website