From:
Jack Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 2010 09:47:57 -0800
Well thanks to my trainees and collegues I have my "all paulownia wood"
harpsichord playing before its premier Sat 27. The usual bugs occur and
I'm cutting jacks down a bit for better repetition. However I'm doing
much less tuning than with a "normal" harpsichord. The treble is staying
dead on and the bass is creeping up. This wood is very strange. It has
resonance to burn. Even with the light Voss stringing and thinner than
normal plectra, I'm having to voice it down as it works in. The sound is
over bright and exceptionally clear and clean. After the debut I plan to
have a youtube made. I weighed it yesterday.The basic instrument without
lid is exactly 20lbs. For an old guy like me thats a blessing. I would
make the mouldings out of harder stuff next time. The soundboard is
staying perfectly flat with the only support being the walnut very small
bridge and a slender tulip poplar boudin which curves along in the
treble and bass. It's very light perhaps 1.2" x 1/2". The bridge is
quite close to the bentside. The pluckpoints are average.
    The inst is 7" high and 65 x 28 with a 12 1/2"c2 for those who
measure. The extremely light and fast keyboard takes getting use to. The
sound is way too much for the feel of the pluck. I can't wait to try it
in and ensemble where the player can often not get enough sound. I spoke
to a guitar maker in Tenn who has made several tops from paulownia. He
tells me the sound will mellow and warm up.
      The keyboard is geared for continuo use starting with naturals
G,C,D then a split sharp (front is B nat or Bb) back is Eb. This will
confuse quite a few people but its got a useful low G. The octave span
is made for the small hand (just under 6").With its extremely light
weight it can be manuved into the passenger side of my Honda accord and
sprawl accross the reclined passanger seat.
Certainly there is a lot to get used to. We'll just have to wait and
see. I excited to order wood for a clavichord.
     The overall stiffness to weight ratio is still mindblowing!
J.Peters ok