From:
Paula Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 16:19:10 +0100
I'm getting confused here. Reference has been made to both woven and felted
(i.e. non-woven) materials being used in harpsichords, and I get the
impression that present-day makers use one or the other or both.
As far as old instruments are concerned, I'm sure I've read of bits of
presumed original cloths being found on balance rails. I don't know if any
have been felted or not, or indeed if they are all of wool. I'd expect wool,
given the historical importance of the wool trade in Western Europe, as well
as the texture of wool. In England there were laws obliging people to wear
woolly hats, but I'm afraid I can't remember if they were knitted, woven or
felted.

Could someone clarify the historical situation, please? (Harpsichords, that
is, not hats...)

Paula