From:
Tilman Skowroneck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2008 17:56:13 -0500
On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 17:22:28 -0500, Peter W Redstone <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hi folks! Owen D wrote:
>
>I'm with Bill on this. With a very, very sharp, and very well-set
>>plane, jacks will be smooth as teflon.
>>
>Why does a jack have to be that slick?  I scrape my jacks and they
>seem perfectly smooth enough to me. And they're certainly smooth
>enough to slide in the register without any friction.
>
>Best!

I haven't _made_ jacks using a plane, or otherwise. For adjustment work I
used to use the scraper too. Works fine enough, as you say.
The point with the Lie-Nielsen low angle plane that Owen mentions is that it is
a) not extremely difficult to get really sharp, the steel is ab-ser-lootly
gorgeous,
and
b) working with it, when well-sharpened, makes everything a dance. I've
never seen anything even remotely like it (while I have decent, well-tuned
old-school Stanleys otherwise).
Tilman

www.skowroneck.de