From:
Jack Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 15:12:37 -0800
Nick,
     Other advice very good,here are the basics: for continuo the basic 1
stop is the 8' gedeckt(stopped wood flute which is fairly compact especially
when short octave is used. Second stop is a 4' principal or open flute with
conical metal pipes if you want less shrillness of the principal: then a
quint 2&2/3s and two foot but each stop adds another $5000 or so. The more
stops add also to the movability and need for tuning. The 8' hardly needs
much. If the organ is used as a solo instrument it needs the additional
upper voices but for continuo the one stop can be quite beautiful.
Jack Peters who did build small organs before harpsichords.